Tuesday 29 November 2011

“The first and great commandment is: Don’t let them scare you” – Elmer Davis (Writer)

“The first and great commandment is: Don’t let them scare you” – Elmer Davis (Writer)
It seems that the first and great is also the hardest.  People will ask, who is ‘them’?  The answer to that is simple… everyone.  Anyone who has ever tried to scare you.  Anyone who has scared you without meaning to.  Anyone who has done anything that could prevent you from reaching something.  We can not let ‘them’ scare us, or we will never get anywhere.
I have been scared in my life.  And I will be scared again and again.  There are always situations where it is easy to be scared.  Exams for instance.  I have a midterm tomorrow, but is that going to stop me from doing this?  No.  Should it?  Yeah probably.  Not that this is relevant, but still.
There are lots of scary things.  I sometimes like it when people push me out of my comfort zone and scare me a little.  It makes me feel a bit more alive.  There's a thrill to having your car skid on ice, to dancing with strangers in a bar, or simply to saying what you've been holding back.  Not saying that if any of these situations seem really dangerous to you that you should do them, because that probably isn't the best idea.  But, you know how while you were growing up you were told not to talk to strangers? Strangers are dangerous, etc.  Don't let that scare you! You can not make friends if you don't talk to strangers.  So go ahead, take a risk.  Hi, I'm DevSelts and I am a stranger.  Pleased to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment